This crunch holiday salad is packed with healthy antioxidants, Omega 3s and micronutrients!
YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup neutral tasting oil, such as grapeseed or canola
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch of curly kale, sliced into thin shreds
- 1/2 of a head of Napa cabbage, sliced into thin shreds
- 1 cup of spinach leaves, sliced into thin shreds
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 celery stalk, sliced crosswise
- 1/4 toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley leaves, roughly torn
- Pea shoot for garnish (optional)
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl add the honey, Dijon mustard, shallot and apple cider, a pinch of salt and pepper, whisk well to combine. In a slow, steady stream add the oil and whisk until the dressing come together. Set aside.
- Place the apple slices in a bowl of cold water with a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice until you are ready to assemble the salad, to prevent the apples from browning.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl combine the kale, cabbage, spinach, apple slices (drained), pomegranate seeds, celery and walnuts mix together gently. Top with parsley and pea shoots if using.
- Dress the salad before serving or, if you prefer a softer consistency, similar to coleslaw, dress the salad 10-15 minute before serving to allow the kale and cabbage to marinate in the dressing a bit.