Traditional fruit cake is turned right on its head with our modern summer cherry fruit cake recipe. We’ve swapped dried fruit for fresh cherries and apples, resulting in a moist cake that’s bursting with flavor. Walnuts are thrown in to give a subtle nutty flavor and add texture.
This crowd-pleasing cherry cake is great to take on picnics, to the beach or even for breakfast on the go. It’s dense, like a traditional fruit cake but way more fun!
YIELD: 1 9 x 11 inch cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (or other neutral oil such as safflower or grapeseed)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and diced apple (about 1 large apple of any variety)
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and diced
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Powdered sugar (for finishing)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease a 9” x 11” baking pan with non-stick spray, butter or margarine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Set aside.
- Place the eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil (or neutral oil) and vanilla in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Fold in the apple, cherries, and walnuts, and mix until evenly incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and smooth out with the back of a spoon to create an even surface.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and bounces back when pressed gently.
- Leave the cake in the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Once completely cool, dust with powdered sugar.
- Cut the cake into slices or squares directly in the pan before serving.
- Cake can be covered tightly and kept up to 3 days at room temperature or frozen for up to a month.