When the sun gets hot, nothing beats a cherry gin and tonic at cocktail o’clock! This gorgeous drink looks fancy but is actually very simple to make. Make use of seasonal produce by garnishing your gin and tonic with fresh cherries, berries and basil.
The syrup can be made with any type of cherry, but Orondo Ruby cherries give this gin and tonic a beautiful pale pink color.
Make the syrup ahead of time to give it time to cool.
YIELD: 1 cocktail
Cherry gin and tonic
- 2 fl. oz gin
- 1 fl. oz Orondo Ruby cherry syrup (recipe below)
- 2 ice cubes
- 10 fl. oz tonic water
- Handful of fresh Orondo Ruby cherries
- Handful of fresh mixed berries (ie. blueberries, blackberry, raspberries, etc.)
- Couple of fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 lime, cut into a wedge
- 1 cup Orondo Ruby cherries, pitted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Put all of the cherry syrup ingredients in a medium pan, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat a bit and let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the burner and use a potato masher to squish the cherries and help them release their juice. Stir well.
- Put the pan back on the stove and simmer for an additional 3 minutes.
- Being very careful not to burn yourself, strain the cherry syrup through a wire mesh strainer and into a bowl. Press down carefully but firmly on the cherries until all the juice has been released. Discard the skins.
- Set syrup aside to cool completely. Do not use hot syrup in your gin and tonic.
- Now make the cherry gin and tonic. Start by pouring the gin and cherry syrup into a tall glass.
- Add ice cubes and pour in the tonic water.
- Garnish with the fresh cherries, berries and basil leaves.
- Squeeze the juice from the lime wedge into the drink before dropping the wedge into the glass.
- Serve immediately.
* When making multiple cherry gin and tonics, set out all of your glasses and carry out each step across all of them (ie. put the gin in all of the glasses, then add the cherry syrup in all of the glasses, etc.). This way all drinks can be served at the same time and you can sip yours with your guests!