How to get kids to eat fruit? Two words: dessert nachos.
Slices of raw apple are drizzled with a silky homemade chocolate sauce and topped with oodles of goodies. Kids go wild for this ultra-easy dessert that is on the table in under 10 minutes. Perfect for weeknight dinners that need a special finish.
YIELD: 4 servings
Recipe Development and Photography By: Williams-Raines
- 2 apples, seeds removed and quartered
- 6 oz. dark chocolate
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Your choice of toppings (ex. Sprinkles, candy, chopped nuts, maraschino cherries…)
- Take the quartered apples and slice them thinly lengthwise (about 5 slices per quarter). Arrange apple slices on a large plate or small platter.
- Put chocolate, milk and vanilla extract in a small pan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly with a rubber spatula, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and combined with the other ingredients. It should be silky and smooth. Remove from heat – do not overcook.
- Drizzle chocolate over the arranged apple slices and sprinkle with chosen toppings.
- Serve immediately.
Another option is to arrange the apple slices on small individual plates (about ½ an apple per person), drizzle with chocolate and serve, leaving each person to choose their own toppings at the table. A great idea for a birthday party!