YIELD: 3-4 “sandwiches” per apple, depending on size of apple
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 large, round apple, such as Gala or Honey Crisp
- Nut butter of seed butter of your choice for spreading (such as peanut, cashew, or sunflower butters)
- Assorted toppings such as; pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, coconut chips, etc.
- Small heart shaped cookie cutter
- Paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Combine the lemon juice and water in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Slice the apple vertically into 1/8 inch slices, and submerge slices in the lemon water to prevent browning.
- To assemble the “sandwiches”; take one apple slice, blot dry with a paper towel, and spread the surface with nut or seed butter. Take a second apple slice, blot dry, cut the center out with the heart cookie cutter and place on top of the peanut butter covered slice to make a “sandwich”. Reserve cut out pieces for smoothies or snacking, or discard if it is the core. Fill the heart shaped hole with the toppings of your choice!
- Repeat with remaining apple slices.
- Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap for up to 8 hours.