YIELD: 10-12 apple skewers, depending on size of apples
- 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups of water
- 5 large, round apples of mixed variety
- 1 (11 oz.) bag of white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of almond milk, or other milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Pink food coloring
- Assorted topping for dipping; coconut flakes, sprinkles, M&Ms, etc.
- Heart shaped cookie cutters, preferable assorted sizes
- Paper towel or clean kitchen towel
- Bamboo skewers
- Combine the lemon juice and water in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Slice the apples vertically into 1/2 inch slices, then with the cookie cutter, cut a heart out of each slice, removing seeds with a spoon as needed. Submerge the apple hearts in the lemon water to prevent browning, let sit while you make the chocolate dip.
- Combine the chocolate chips, milk and coconut oil in a small sauce pan, turn the heat on low and gently whisk just until the chocolate chips melt and the mixture is smooth, about 10 minutes, taking care not to burn it. Remove from the heat and put in 3 drops of pink food coloring (or until you get your desired color) and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Remove the apple hearts from the lemon water, blot dry with a paper towel, and insert a bamboo skewer into the bottom of each heart. Place on a serving tray.
- Carefully pour the warm chocolate dip into a serving bowl or fondue pot and serve along side the apple skewers with your toppings for sprinkling or dipping.