Hearty, crunchy salads seem to be more satisfying in the winter, especially after a long holiday season of rich foods. Sweet SugarBee® apples make an ideal match for the green flavors of the cabbage in this fresh salad. Serve this as a side dish with grilled or roasted meats or top with grilled chicken for a healthy meal on its own.
Created by: Meg Raines
YIELD: 2-4 servings
Dressing (makes about 1 cup)
- 6 tablespoons lemon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon chai seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 SugarBee® apples, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 1/2 of a medium red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1/2 of a medium green cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- Sliced radish, toasted nuts and additional chia seeds for garnish (optional)
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well until incorporated. Keep any leftover dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To assemble the salad, combine the cut apple, sliced cabbages, carrots and red onion in a large bowl, toss to combine. Drizzle about 1/4 cup of the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Transfer the salad to a serving platter or individual plates, garnish with sliced radishes, nuts and chia seeds and serve immediately. Serve with additional dressing on the side. This salad is best eaten fresh.