This is a warm and hearty dish that serves as the perfect companion for some grilled chicken or salmon. The KORU® apples caramelize nicely when roasted and their subtle sweetness contrasts nicely with the tangy horseradish vinaigrette and earthy cabbage.
- 1 head of red or green cabbage, cut into 3-inch wedges (we used half a head of each for variety)
- 2 KORU® apples, cored and cut into 2-inch wedges
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup of dried small French lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish sauce
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange the apple and cabbage wedges cut side down on a sheet pan; add the shallots, making sure nothing is overlapping. Brush everything on the pan with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 25 minutes or until well browned and caramelized. Flip cabbage and apples over halfway through cooking to ensure even browning.
- Meanwhile, add the lentils to a large sauce pot along with 2 cups of cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are just tender. Drain and rinse.
- To make the dressing, whisk together 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the horseradish, honey, and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Adjust to your taste as needed. Toss with the lentils with 1 tablespoon of the dressing until evenly coated. Transfer the lentils to a serving platter, arrange the roasted vegetables on top of the lentils, drizzle with remaining dressing and garnish with fresh parsley leaves. Serve warm.