Created by: Meg Raines
The vibrant colors of fall shine through in this festive salad, thanks to the deep red color of the Starkrimson pears. Pears are a natural fit with the earthy flavors of beets, and the citrus and spicy greens add a little zing to round out the flavors. A little feta or goat cheese would make a nice addition to this salad as well.
YIELD: 4 servings
- 1 small shallot peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 ripe Starkrimson pears, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 large oranges, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 4-6 medium size beets, roasted* and quartered
- 2 cups of micro greens, or baby arugula
Make the dressing: Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If you do not have a blender, mince the shallot and mix all ingredients by hand until well incorporated.
Assemble the salad: On individual plates or one large serving platter, arrange the orange slices, pear slices and beets on a bed of greens, drizzle with a little dressing and serve additional dressing on the side. Garnish with additional greens if desired. Serve immediately.
- To roast the beets, heat the oven to 400 degrees, wrap the beets separately in tinfoil, place on a cookie sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes until tender; a sharp knife should be able to pierce the beets easily. Let cool, peel the skins off and quarter them.