Summer is here and so are cherries! This wonderfully healthy fruit is very versatile and can be used a million different ways.
This chilled cherry slushie is incredibly simple to make but looks fancy and tastes more complicated than it really is. This recipe will impress your guests and can be served as a starter or as dessert. Yes, you read that right!
YIELD: 4 servings
Chilled Cherry Slushie
- 2 cups fresh dark red cherries, pitted, plus extra for decoration
- 2 cups rose wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 large basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons (only if serving as starter)
- Place the cherries, rose wine, sugar, cinnamon stick and cornstarch in a large pot and stir to combine.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick, place in blender and blend until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, add the lemon juice and place in the fridge, covered, for at least 2 hours.
When ready to serve, give the slushie a stir before ladling into bowls. Top with the remaining cherries. Don’t forget the basil if you’re serving as a starter. Serve immediately.