Take your grilled cheese sandwich to the next level with the addition of finely sliced Rockit™ apple. The apple adds acidity, texture and a touch of sweet to this classic comfort food.
This apple-stuffed grilled cheese isn’t just for kids. Check out the options below to make a more sophisticated adult version.
Recipe Development and Photography: Williams-Raines
YIELD: 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices of bread (optional: use whole-wheat artisanal bread)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 4 oz. cheddar, grated (optional: use sharp or aged cheddar)
- 1 Rockit™ apple, cored, peeled, and sliced fine
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste (optional)
- Dipping sauces: Ketchup, BBQ sauce, HP sauce* …
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- While the pan is heating, butter all the slices of bread on one side only.
- Place two of the slices, butter side down, on the pan.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese on each, then layer 1/2 of the Rockit™ apple, and top with the remaining cheese. If using, grind some fresh pepper on top.
- If using, spread the mustard on the other side of the two remaining bread slices. Close the sandwiches, making sure the buttered sides face up.
- Lower the heat a bit and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2-4 minutes. Delicately check the bottom regularly, you don’t want anything to burn!
- Using a spatula, carefully flip each grilled cheese and cook until the other side is golden brown, another 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from pan, cut in half or quarters, and serve with dipping sauces.
- Be careful when serving the grilled cheese sandwiches, especially to children. The cheese will be piping hot and you may want to let them sit a minute.
- *If you can get your hands on it, HP sauce, also known as “brown sauce” in the UK, is astoundingly good with grilled cheese. Highly recommended as an accompaniment to the adult version of the recipe.