Hearty, crunchy salads seem to be more satisfying in the winter, especially after a long holiday season of rich foods. Sweet KORU® apples make an ideal match for the green flavors of celery and cucumbers in this fresh salad. Serve this on a bed of greens with extra dressing or as a side salad to brighten up any meal.
Dressing (makes about 1 cup):
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 KORU® apples, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup toasted or candied* pecans for garnish
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well until incorporated. Keep any leftover dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To assemble the salad, combine the apple, celery, onion and cucumber slices in a large bowl; add the chopped mint. Drizzle about 1/4 cup of the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Transfer the salad to a serving platter or individual plates, sprinkle with nuts and serve immediately. Serve with additional dressing on the side. This salad is best eaten fresh.
- * To make candied pecans, toast 1 cup of pecans in a 350 degree oven until fragrant and slightly brown, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately drizzle 1 tablespoon of maple syrup over the nuts; stir until nuts are well coated. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired and let cool completely.