The banana bread chronicles continue as home bakers everywhere continue to whip up different versions of their favorite treat. We have been doing some creative cooking ourselves here at Chelan Fresh; this month we added sweet KORU® diced apple chunks to our banana bread. It is moist, delicious and perfect for lazing under a tree with a glass of iced tea and a good book.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, such as coconut, olive or sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk, regular or non-dairy
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana, very ripe (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole grain flour, such as spelt, whole wheat or buckwheat flour (or use additional all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peeled and diced KORU® apple (about 1 medium apple)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts for top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine the oil, maple syrup, milk and vanilla in a large bowl, whisk well to combine. Add the eggs and whisk again. Stir in the mashed banana.
- In a medium bowl add the diced apple, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar, toss to combine and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients; flours, baking soda, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl, stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just enough to moisten the flour. Add the diced apples and gently stir again to incorporate, taking care to not overwork the mixture or the resulting bread will be tough.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, sprinkle with chopped walnuts if using and bake for 60-70 minutes, until the top is firm when pressed and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes. To remove from the pan, run a butter knife around the edges of the bread and gently tip the pan until the loaf slides out. Continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve when completely cooled. Wrap tightly to store at room temperature for up to 2 days, or freeze for several weeks.