KORU® apples are crisp, sweet and juicy with complex aromatic honey flavors, which pairs perfectly with salty cheeses like feta, goat cheese, pecorino or Parmesan. This apple and herbed goat cheese stack contrasts the sweet snap of raw KORU® with the soft creaminess of the cheese.
This simple starter can kick off a fancy dinner party and is sure to impress your guests. Don’t skip placing the apples in lemon water or you’ll end up with brown apple slices. (Read our blog post about why apples turn brown and how to stop it)
YIELD: 4 servings
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 KORU® apples
- 8 oz soft goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (fresh preferred)
- 1 teaspoon honey, plus more for drizzling
- Pinch of salt* (if needed, see notes below for more information)
- 1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 cup of micro greens or baby arugula
- Combine lemon juice and 3 cups of cold water in a large bowl.
- Slice the KORU® apples crosswise into very thin round slices, removing seeds or hard pieces of the core as needed. You can use a mandolin to slice the apples but a sharp knife will also do the trick. Keeping the slices thin will make the apple and goat cheese stack easier to cut and eat.
- Place slices in the lemon water, ensuring they are well submerged. Set aside while you prepare the herbed goat cheese.
- Place goat cheese in a small bowl and whisk into a smooth paste.
- Add herbs, 1 teaspoon honey, and salt (if using*), and mix well to combine.
- Put the herbed goat cheese in a piping bag with a large tip or into a freezer or ziplock bag with a corner snipped off. If you prefer, skip and go straight to the next step.
- Prepare to assemble the stacks. Divide your apple slices into four piles (one serving per plate). The 5 layers will be as follows: layer 1: apple, layer 2: goat cheese, layer 3: apple, layer 4: goat cheese, layer 5: apple.
- Place 1/3 of a pile of apple slices in the center of a plate, then pipe or add (using a spoon) about 1 tablespoon of herbed goat cheese on top. Add another 1/3 of the pile of apple slices and add a second layer of herbed cheese. Finish with the remaining 1/3 of apple slices. Repeat process to create three other stacks.
- Sprinkle each stack with about 1/4 cup of walnuts, and garnish with micro greens or baby arugula. Drizzle a little honey over each KORU® and herbed goat cheese stack starter and serve immediately.
*Goat cheese can vary in saltiness. Taste yours first to determine whether additional salt is needed.