Sylvia Klinger pictured above left.
Healthy Reasons to Love Cherries
- Bounty of nutrients – Cherries are not only beautiful, but they deliver a rush of nutrition – 3 grams of fiber (12% of your daily value) in every serving, as well as vitamin C, potassium and a list of other nutrients such as vitamin K, B vitamins, magnesium and copper.
- Health benefits – Cherries also provide a number of health benefits, which are backed by science. Here are the top three most exciting reasons to love cherries even more:
- Exercise recovery and pain relief – Did you know that a number of studies – some performed on long distance runners – have found that cherries act like a “natural-anti-inflammatory agent.” Eating more cherries may enhance muscle recovery, reduce exercise-induced inflammation and oxidative stress, and decrease exercise related pain. (Scand J Med Sci Sports, 2013 and Med Sport Sci, 2012)
- Arthritis benefit – Cherries have demonstrated a potential for anti-inflammation, so is natural that cherries might hold promise in threating arthritis, which is an inflammation condition by nature. (Scand J Rheumatol, 2006)
- Sleep aid – If you suffer from insomnia you may want to give cherries a chance. Cherries naturally supply melatonin to the body, which can translate in a better sleep quality in people. (Eur J Nutr, 2012)
- Brain health – The anti-inflammatory properties of cherries have gotten the attention of Alzheimer’s disease researchers, who have found that cherries have potential (when combined with Omega-3’ and 6 fatty acids) in reducing cognitive defects. (J Med Food, 2013)
- Freeze cherries – Cherries have a short season, but this is the time to buy extra cherries and freeze them for the remainder of the year. , Remove the pit and gently place them into a freezer bag or freezer proof container. When ready to eat, thaw cherries and make your favorite recipe with cherries. Yes, it is that simple!
- For more information about the wonders of cherries go to or to download a dietitians tool kit full of health information and recipes go to
Cherries Love Tajín
This little bottle of Tajin Seasoning packs a big punch! And when you pair it with our Chelan Fresh cherries it adds a zing, making for a savory and tangy snack all in one bite.
Chelan Fresh is all about finding new and innovative ways to pair fresh fruit with other foods and seasonings to help consumers lead a healthier lifestyle. That is why we love our friends at Tajin. Tajin’s number one goal is to help improve the overall consumption of fruits and vegetables from children through adults. The Tajin line of seasonings pairs well with fresh fruits, vegetables and also offers a great way to add some kick to your favorite dish. And taking Tajin along with your favorite cherry or other fresh fruit as an on-the-go snack makes perfect, healthy, snacking sense.
Look for Tajin and Chelan Fresh cherries at your local retailer.
Orondo Ruby® in Stores Now!
If Orondo Ruby® is your new “It” cherry, then the news is good as this cherry is landing in stores near you. This gorgeous cherry has beautiful red blushed skin, a firm bite, and is bursting with flavor! Don’t wait as this cherry is only around for a few weeks every year and will be gone by mid-July.
Look for Orondo Ruby® at the following locations:
Select Walmart Stores in Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas, Mississippi, Florida, Louisiana, Kentucky, Alabama
New Seasons Market in Oregon
King Soopers in Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
Kroger stores in Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri
Pavilion Foods in Southern California
Meet the Intern
- Where are you from?
- What school are you attending?
Washington State University.
- What is your major?
- What skills do you want to gain from this experience?
Some things I want to gain from this internship is experience in an office setting, and a more complete knowledge of everything that occurs in the fruit industry.
- What are your goals after graduation?
My goal after graduating from WSU is to be a marketing manager for a company (possibly fruit company) in need of someone with the skills and abilities I have to offer.
- What extracurriculars are you involved in and why?
In school I was involved in intramural sports, I played 5v5 basketball, 3v3 basketball, and softball. I play those because they’re fun, competitive, and enjoyable for someone like myself.
- What are you most passionate about learning — personally or professionally — and why?
Personally, I enjoy learning how to work with cars because when my brother got his first car it was not in good shape, and we would always work on his car together, trying to get it to look nicer and run better. But professionally, I strive for opportunities like this internship so I can not only better, but further my skillset, while getting ahead of my college colleagues in gaining the experience I’m going to need in the future for my chosen profession.
Why do you think you might like to live in the community in which our company is located?
Lake Chelan. I love swimming, and being in the beautiful atmosphere Chelan has to offer. Living here in Chelan is a goal of mine I plan on achieving in the near future!