This no-fuss Italian classic has a moist, dense crumb and is loaded with tender pears. It is a perfect cake for a low-key family celebration because it is simple to make with just a few pantry staples and can be enjoyed as dessert or at brunch. A little dusting of powdered sugar is all it needs to dress it up for your celebration table.
- 9 tablespoons of unsalted butter at room temperature, divided
- 9 tablespoons of granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup of almond flour
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 ripe but firm Bosc pears peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar for garnish
- Grease an 8” springform pan with butter and line bottom with parchment paper for easy removal. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl mix together almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a large mixing bowl, add the sliced pears and toss to coat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and set aside, and measure out 2 tablespoons of the sugar and set it aside as well.
- In a bowl of electric mixer beat the remaining butter and sugar together until well blended and creamy. With the mixer at slow speed, add one egg at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition, scrapping down the bowl as needed. Add the almond extract and beat to combine. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat just until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; using spatula, spread to smooth. Top with pear slices in a circular pattern. Drizzle half of the melted butter over the pears, sprinkle with half of the two tablespoons of sugar previously set aside. Distribute the sliced almonds evenly over the top of the pears, then finish with another drizzle of the remaining butter and sprinkling of sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Let cool slightly before removing the outside of the pan.
- Once completely cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Slice and enjoy.
- Wrap leftovers in plastics wrap and store at room temperature for 1-2 days.