Sweet pears and winter fruit balance out the bitter greens in this festive salad, dress it up with the Cranberry Rosemary Vinaigrette and it is sure to bring cheer to your holiday table.
YIELD: 4 servings
Dressing (makes 1 cup):
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup mild tasting oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 oz. butter lettuce (1 bag or roughly 2 heads)
- 6-8 oz. frisee lettuce or other bitter green (1 bag or 1 large head)
- 3 Crimson pears, cored and sliced thin
- 1 cup candied walnut
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Make the dressing; place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, reserve for later use. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Assemble salad; mix the lettuce together, layer on the pears, oranges, goat cheese and nuts, sprinkle on the pomegranate seeds, serve immediately with the dressing on the side.