YIELD: makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices of hearty bread
- Butter, softened or butter spread
- 3 ounces of firm cheese, sliced, such as manchego, or swiss
- 2 tablespoons or more of your favorite jam (*see note)
- 1 large Bosc pear, firm but ripe, thinly sliced, seeds and stem removed
- Butter one side of all four slices of bread, then set it on a work surface butter side down.
- On two pieces of bread, layer on the cheese and pear slices, top with a tablespoon or more of jam. Cover each sandwich with a remaining slice of bread, butter side facing up.
- Heat a griddle pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the sandwich in the heated pan, cooking until the bottom side is crispy and brown, flip over and cook the other side until crispy and the cheese has softened, should take about 10-12 minutes total. Lightly press the sandwich down occasionally with a spatula to compress it together a bit.
- Remove from pan, cut sandwich in half and serve immediately.
*I suggest using a jam infused with spicy or savory flavors, such as chilis or vinegars, for the best result. I used a locally made strawberry, balsamic and black pepper jam that I buy at our farmer’s market.Option nutritional boosters – 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, 1/2 teaspoon spiralina, or half of an avocado for a creamier consistency.