YIELD: 4 servings
- 2 Bosc or Bartlet pears, peeled, cored and halved
- 4 cups of water
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- Half of a lemon
- 2 inch piece of ginger
- Dried fruits, nuts, or candy of your choice for the bunny face (pictured: dried mango strips for ears, golden raisins for eyes, white chocolate chips for nose and sliced almonds for teeth)
- 1 (5 oz.) container of cottage cheese
- 6 cups of a shredded cabbage and carrot mix
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice of one lemon (about a scant 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Poach the pears; Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. When the sugar has dissolved gently add the lemon, ginger and pears and reduce to a simmer. To prevent the pears from browning from air exposure, turn them occasionally as they cook. Cook for 25-30 minute or until the pears are tender. Remove from heat and let cool in the poaching liquid.
- Make the dressing; Combine the chia seeds, honey, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk. Add the olive oil and whisk until the dressing comes together. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the salad; arrange about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cabbage mix on a salad plate, place a pear half on top, cut side down. Place about 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese at the large round end of the pear for the “tail”. Create a bunny face on the smaller end of the pear with dried fruit and nuts.
- Serve immediately with dressing on the side. Pears can be stored in the poaching liquid in the refrigerator for 2 days.
*Dressing recipe courtesy of http://www.mindfullyfrugalmom.com