Written by: Valerie Musser
Nothing is more idyllic than a handmade garland for the holidays and this KORU® and cinnamon stick swag does not disappoint!
This garland is a very easy-to-do project. KORU® Apples are the ideal candidate for this, as they are slow to brown, crisp and hold their shape during the drying process better than other varieties.
Yield: Makes 3 3ft garlands
- KORU® Apples (I used 3 apples for my garland, but you can use more or less, depending on the length that you need.)
- Dehydrator or baking sheet for oven method
- Cinnamon sticks (easy to order in bulk online)
- Cotton kitchen twine (find at any grocery store in the kitchen supplies area)
- Large leather or embroidery needle.
- Wash and dry your KORU® apples, leaving the skin on. If you are going to use the oven method, preheat your oven to 225°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a large knife, slice your apples horizontally to expose the natural star pattern the seeds make. I cut mine about 1/8th inch thick, you can also use a mandolin if you have one. Place your apples either on your parchment lined baking sheet or on your dehydrator tiers.
- Oven: Bake for 1 hour, flip the apples and then bake for an additional hour.
Dehydrator: 135°F overnight
- Cool. If you are not going to make a garland right away, store in an airtight container.
- Cut a length of kitchen twine for as long as you would like your garland. I find that it is more manageable to cut several 3-foot lengths than to make one huge one.
- Feed the cotton twine through the eye of your leather or embroidery needle, string a cinnamon stick onto the twine through its natural opening. Add an apple, weaving in one side and out the other as shown in the photo below. Continue the pattern until it is long enough for your needs. Enjoy throughout the season, and gift them to those on your shopping list! Remember, these apples are completely edible, so don’t forget to snack on a few! KORU® Apples are delicious, with notes of honey, spice, orange, and vanilla. Dried apples make a great on-the-go snack for holiday travel!