We switched out the all-purpose flour in this recipe for almond flour, which gives the waffles a deliciously rich texture, makes them higher in protein and gluten free as well. Adding our delightfully pink Lucy™ apples and a splash of SugarBee® apple cider doubles the apple flavor while giving the waffles a lovely pink hue.
Created by: Meg Raines
YIELD: 2-3 servings (depending on your waffle iron)
- 1 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Lucy™Glo or Lucy™ Rose apples
- 1/2 cup milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter and maple syrup for serving
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Peel both apples. Shred one of the apples until you get 1/2 cup of shredded apples, well packed. Slice the remaining apples for topping the waffles, and set aside. TIP: to prevent browning, place in a bowl of water with a tablespoon of lemon juice until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot powder (or tapioca starch), baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until well combined.
- Add shredded apple, milk, cider, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir to combine with dry ingredients.
- Spray or grease waffle iron just before using. Scoop batter into your waffle iron and cook according to your waffle maker instructions.
- Repeat with remaining batter until all the waffles are cooked.
- Serve immediately with additional apples slices and maple syrup.