Recipe by: Valerie Musser
- 1 canned pumpkin 15oz
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 2 ½ tsp. yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. garam marsala
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups peeled, chopped D’Anjou pears (about 3 pears)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups of cubed Yukon Gold potatoes
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed pot on medium heat. Add the onion, spices, and garlic. Sautee until wilted, lowering the heat if the garlic browns too quickly.
- Add the chopped pear and toss to coat. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, stock, salt, pepper, then simmer
- Add the pumpkin puree, potatoes, bring to a boil and then let simmer 30 minutes.
- Puree with a stick blender or a heat proof blender. If using a blender, puree a third of the soup at a time.
- If the soup is too thick, add a bit more water, if it is too thin, simmer it longer to reduce it.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with or without cooked basmati rice. Garnish with thin sliced pear.