Fall is finally here! Time to run out, buy some pears and pair them with the season’s hottest seasoning: pumpkin spice.
We’ve created a recipe that is spicy, warming, delicious and oh-so-simple to make. It comes together in minutes and can be on the table in half an hour. Not only that, it looks fantastic and will impress anyone lucky enough to eat at your table. So, what are you waiting for? Go get those pears!
YIELD: 4 servings
- 2 pears (ripe but firm)
- 1/8 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- A few pinches of cinnamon, for dusting
- Yogurt or vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (it will make clean up a lot easier).
- In a small bowl add almonds, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin spice and 1 teaspoon of maple syrup. Mix well.
- Slice pears in half. Using a small spoon or melon baller, scoop out the seeds to create a cavity.
- Tip: take a thin slice off the round part of each pear half. This will keep them flat and stable.
- Place pears cut-side up on the baking sheet and spoon almond mixture to fill each cavity. There should be no leftover mix.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of maple syrup over the pears. Try to do this as evenly as possible to ensure all pears have roughly the same amount of maple syrup on them.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until soft and cooked through (use a sharp knife to test for doneness).
- Remove from oven and put on plates or serving dish. Drizzle with maple syrup and dust with a few pinches of cinnamon.
- Serve right away with yogurt or ice cream.
- This recipe is very easy to double, triple or quadruple if you need to feed more people.