This is a fast and easy version of a baked apple with lots of chewy granola-like topping. Serve these bake apples for brunch, a holiday side dish, or top with ice cream for dessert.
YIELD: 5-7 servings (depending on size of apples)
- 3/4 cups oats, regular or gluten free
- 1/3 cup chopped dates (about 4 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons neutral tasting oil (canola or safflower)
- 2 large Honey Crisp or Jonagold apples
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon of butter, or non dairy butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, line a sheet pan with parchment or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the oats, dates, walnuts, sesame seeds, cinnamon and lemon zest, mix with your hands or a fork to incorporate the dates into the oats until it becomes a bit sticky. Mix in the oil.
- Combine the honey and butter in a microwave proof container and microwave until warm and the butter begins to melt (should be 30 seconds or less). Set aside.
- Sliced the apples crosswise into 1 inch slices, you should get about 3 thick slices per apple. Save the tops and bottoms for another use (like smoothies!). Place the slices on the prepared sheet pan and cut the center core out of each slice. For each apple slice; lightly coat with honey mixture, top with some of the oat mixture, drizzle with the remaining honey mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the slices are tender but not mushy, and the oats are golden brown.
- These are best eaten the same day they are made so serve while warm.