Baked apple chips are a wholesome, healthy snack that please kids and adults alike. Easily packed in a lunchbox or munched on during movie night, apple chips are convenient and tasty. Our oil-free chips are baked to perfection, making them good for you without compromising on deliciousness. And they’re easy to make. What’s not to love?
We used RockitTM apples to make perfectly portioned little chips sprinkled with a cocoa spice mix and a little cayenne pepper for a surprise hint of heat. This can of course be omitted if you or your loved ones prefer your sweets without any spicy.
Created by: Meg Raines & Beth Williams
Yield: 3-4 servings
4 RockitTM apples
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 225°F / 110°C.
2. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Mix the sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne pepper (if using) together in a small bowl.
4. Slice the apples crosswise into very thin slices. This is best done with a mandolin or vegetable slicer if you have one. No need to core the apples, just remove any seeds before baking.
5. On a clean work surface, lay the apple slices flat. Dust one side with the spice mixture and transfer to the lined sheet pans. The slices can be close together but should not overlap.
6. Bake in the oven for 1 hour, rotating pans from top to bottom after 30 minutes to ensure even baking. Apples should be fairly crisp but, if they’re still soft, bake for an addition 15-30 minutes until they crisp up.
7. Remove pans from the oven and carefully flip the apple slices over.
8. Turn of the oven off before placing the pans back inside. Allow chips to continue drying out in the cooling oven for an hour or overnight if you can.
9. Store cool apple chips in an airtight container for up to a week.
* We used a traditional Aztec spice mix (cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne) to make it interesting but cayenne can be omitted to remove heat.
* This recipe is very easy to double or triple, so make baked apple chips for a crowd!