YIELD: 4 servings
- 1-2 tablespoons of high heat oil such as grapeseed, safflower or avocado oil
- 2 chicken and apple sausages, sliced crosswise (*for a vegetarian option see notes)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 apple, such as Fuji or Gala variety, cored and cubed
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 4 cups of kale, washed, and torn into bite size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat, add the sausage and onions and sauté until brown, about 8-10 minutes, add the sweet potatoes and apples to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes, add the coriander, cinnamon, a pinch of salt and pepper and the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer or until the garlic becomes fragrant, add the stock, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are almost tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and simmer for another 5 minutes, uncovered, until the sweet potatoes are tender and most of liquid has evaporated.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning as needed, and serve in bowls with crusty bread and a side salad.
For a vegetarian option; omit the sausage and add 1/2 cup quick cooking grains, such as quinoa, along with the stock, cover and simmer until the grains are cooked, continue with recipe. Note: adjust the amount of stock according to the recommended ratio on the grain package.