These simple apple baskets are a fun Easter project for kids, and they’ll love eating them too (even though they’re healthy!).
YIELD: 2 baskets
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 6 oz of vanilla yogurt
- Licorice or other rope candy
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Jelly beans or Easter candy eggs
- Cut the top 1/3 off the apple (dice the top up and mix it into the yogurt if desired). You may need to trim the bottom as well so the apple sits flat.
- Using a melon baller or small paring knife carve out the center of the apple, leaving a 1/8 inch rim around the sides.
- Cut a small notch on either side of the inside rim for the licorice handle, taking care not cut through to the skin.
- Fill the apple to the top with yogurt.
- Cut a strip of licorice for the handle and place it into the notches in the rim (the yogurt should help it stay in place as well).
- Top the yogurt with coconut and decorate with candies.
- Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 hours.